View Single Post
Old 10-11-04, 06:07
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Flags to die for

I'd like to weigh in on this issue.

Since CD's seem to be one of the criteria for commenting, I hasten to add that I do have one (29 years (CD and bar) and counting. Seven other bits of tin hanging on my chest).

Flags are nothing more than coloured rags... its the emotions they stir in us, the blood spilled for them, the hopes and aspirations of a people that they symbolise that imbue them with more than the needle and thread that stitched them together.

They can bring tears to our eyes (the Union Jack wrapped around a dead Canadian on Dieppe Beach) and revulsion to our souls (the swastika just about anywhere). We choose to serve under them, or not (our draft dodgers for example).

Like Geoff, I feel that the act of remembrance is meant to be inclusive. I was born under the Red Ensign and the German flag (Army brat born overseas). I have served under the Canadian Flag (always first and foremost), the UN flag and the NATO flag. I have had dear friends killed while serving under these same flags.

I proudly salute the flags of other nations because I am recognising the emotions they stir in that country's soldiers... men who were sometimes my grandfather's, father's and my own enemies who are now staunch allies.

Lead the parade with the Maple Leaf, include the flags of others who should be remembered. In all the rhetoric, please don't forget to remember.

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords