View Single Post
Old 26-08-19, 01:59
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Tauber View Post
The Madill carriers were not made on M32 recovery vehicles, they were only designated as M32’s to avoid confusion with the M4 carrier. Most Madill machines used the so called M4A3 spar carrier, originally supplied by NAPCO, later Traxxon. It was lengthened and widened. They still retain the Armoured diff housing. The M32 carrier was only used on the small 071 yarder, but Washington Iron Works used them on a couple of swing yarders. The M4 tractor was used to make drills by G.M. Philpott and later by Finning, then they switched to the M32, then the M40, really a HVSS Sherman and nothing like an M40 at all. The M5 tractor was used as a drill carrier by Chapman Motor and Machine Shop, the “Drilmobile”. There were quite a few around. The M6 tractor was used as a spar carrier on some early Madill yarders, often with the original body and engine. There were also a lot of M26A1 tank retriever trucks used as spar carriers.
I agree with every available heavy chassis was worked into the product line, from M4 Sherman FOVs to High Speed Tractors and others. My reading has been that the M32 name was originated from M32 vehicles, not necessarily because they weren't M4s. The vertical volute suspension has been my differentiation point. The horizontal volute system would be entirely appropriate for post war Shermans.

Attached are a couple of shots of a Madill and its data plate -because we are all rivet counters at heart. Had I been smarter when this line of inquiry had my interest, I would have looked at and recorded serial numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Madill 071 in Kelso WA from FB 5a.jpg   Madill 071 in Kelso WA from FB 4.jpg   Madill 071 in Kelso WA from FB 2.jpg  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!