View Single Post
Old 30-11-19, 10:06
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew P View Post
You bring up a good topic. At least in the United States many who study World War II history end their study of Europe when the Allies entered Berlin. The millions of refugees, displaced persons and the programs to repatriate, relocate, feed, clothe and house the victims of the war are not even thought of by many. But of course welfare agencies already in theater with the Forces then turned to civilian relief. The Salvation Army had their Overseas Relief program, it is well documented in their archives and I'd like to study it in the future.

There is the aforementioned UNRRA. The Wikipedia page for it being all of nine paragraphs long. Contrast that with the Wikipedia entry for the Normandy Landings that has around 60 paragraphs! We come along and take an interest because of the vehicles. But then I see just the staggering size of the tasks these post-war relief agencies faced. From the Wiki on UNRRA "By 1947, UNRRA was running nearly 800 resettlement camps, housing seven million people.[10] Forty-four nations contributed to funding, supplying, and staffing the agency...". Then there were all the non-governmental ones.

It is a topic I feel as big as the war itself and deserving it's own study. Lacking that, it is my opinion that all of these should stay in this thread. Many of the vehicles are the same types if not actually the same vehicles in some cases and the motives behind their operators and drivers are the same. The only difference being serving civilians impacted by the war instead of the forces.
Matt, you're right. The fighting may have ended in May 1945, but the war certainly wasn't over.

Here is a link to a page with interesting info about Mobile Canteens: Kent at War - Life During Wartime
Quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image045.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	110519
A Bedford OX 30 Food Flying Squad mobile canteen. This vehicle was provided by donations from the people of Kent County, Michigan, USA, which is inscribed on the side of the vehicle. Two of the convoy’s motorcycles and riders are also shown. (WanPs-0337)

Also make sure to read the thread Ted Angus mentions over at HMVF: Guy vix-ants - queens messengers

HTH,
Hanno