View Single Post
Old 25-07-19, 11:23

Default Tanks for the memories...

Looking back, it’s been a fair while since my last post. During my absence from the forum, I made a gantry out of scrap I beam, fitted the engine and completed the wiring.

So many little jobs! In hindsight I’d recommend a table on the outside of the carrier on which to place the plethora of tools and parts that you need whilst working in this space. On a positive note, you get heaps of exercise climbing in and out to go and get that part/ tool that you left on the work bench!

I made up a tool to get the correct bend on the bifurcated rivets holding all the felt in place, this worked well in forming the loops on the rivet arms to keep tension on the rivet head - well worth the effort to get the correct result.

Both fuels tanks are now restored and the near-side tank fitted as this posses the least hindrance to any final works in the engine bay. Thanks to Euan McDonald who had a sample of what was fitted to the hole in the fuel tank under the rear seats - it’s a breather that was discarded on later fuel tanks.

All the fuel lines made up with new fittings, I found cloth covered fuel line but could not source the old style swagged fittings, what you see is the nearest I could get. The purists will note the pick up is rotated 1600mils - this was so the line does not rub anywhere.

One of the few concessions made in this restoration, besides an electronic ignition, is an electronic fuel pump. As I fitted a new mechanical pump, I only wanted to use the electric pump to prime the carby, so I ran an extra wire in the harness so that it can be turned on/ off from the drivers compartment. Works a treat as she fires up easily on 6v.
Attached Thumbnails
26FAECC7-E4C7-4E41-830A-7897407A4D4D.jpeg  

"He who has the tiger by the tale, is often afraid to let go" - Confucius

Ford FGT No.9 (long suffering restoration project)
25 Pdr (Under Restoration)
No.27 Artillery Trailer (Under Restoration)
Bit and pieces of a 2 pdr AT (Looking for bits)
LP2a Carrier - 3" Mortar Trials (Restored)