Thread: Info needed: Building a repro LRDG 1940 Chev.
View Single Post
Old 26-03-19, 00:58

Default Caramba!!!!!!!

thanks Tony.......

Ideally the front and rear axle from a C15 would be perfect...after all that is what they used on the 1942 LRDG GM made LRDG......

BUT I cannot find one in Canada........ shipping from Europe is ridiculous.

Trying hard to do like the early 1938/39/40 conversion done in Egypt with cowl/frame that were converted from civilian model....... I may have to use a HD Maple Leaf front axle with roller bearings for better endurance.

Currently playing with using an adapter plate to allow the use of CMP rims with the 10 bolt GM bolt pattern.... made a mock up using wood and it is feasible to machine a 3/8 plate to fit........... big issue is the rear axle is narrower to accommodate the previous dual wheels and may require fabricating a spacer or just plain using a C15a rear end which I have but then it is wider and the frame width had not been standardized yet as discovered by Dave Pope...... so the spring plate on the CMP axle would need torching off and replacing to fit the 1940 frame width I plan on using...

The worst part is the 1940 truck is currently enclosed in ice/snow and can't be access yet for measurements.

Blah!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help.
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 26-03-19 at 01:03.