View Single Post
Old 04-02-21, 06:00

In post 13, I pointed out the M4A2 76 (HVSS) that was serving as a base for the saluting dais.

These attached two images are from page 339 of “The Royal Canadian Armoured Corps, An Illustrated History” by John Marteinson & Michael R. McNorgan, 2000.

I am skeptical about the date quoted in the image caption.

The camera position in these two images is essentially the same, with the upper image facing roughly south-west, and the lower image roughly north-west.

In the upper image we see a column of Grizzlies preparing to pass the dais (near Grizzly has gun depressed for salute, while the second Grizzly is in the process of depressing it’s gun). At the right edge of this image (and my close-up) we can make out one of the Stuarts on the terrace which should be flanking the Corps War Memorial (memorial is not visible).

In the bottom image we see at least two Grizzly APCs, where the crew commander of the near Grizzly is still saluting. We also see an M4A2 76 (HVSS), which is parked on a concrete pad which transitions into a path flanked by shrubbery. While we cannot see who is being saluted, I believe it is likely that this Sherman is acting as the dais as we can see in the image in post 13. The location of this Sherman is at the front centre of the RCAC parade square, which is out of frame to the right of the lower image.

I believe this M4A2 76(HVSS) remained in the same position until the early 2000s.

I find these two images very interesting from the standpoint that it appears to show an M5A1 Light Tank and an M4A2 76 (HVSS) as monuments while there are Grizzlies on parade.

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
613A01CF-AF55-4919-AC55-03E8E823D84D.jpg   CF73A9EC-A18E-4451-906D-E4BCD0915912.jpg