View Single Post
Old 16-03-10, 17:12

Default Sheet metal......

Hi Stu

Will bend backwards to accommodate you...... do drop in.....

I am now working on the skins for the cab11/12 doors..... also inner skin panels for the cab...... everything that was touching the arches or near the floor was rusted and very "Holy"...... some can be patched but it is almost easier to replace the whole panel. Now we can bend, shape and spot weld.... Mig is always there for the bigger jobs. I am still working with the large .035 wire/gas but will switch to the lighter .025 wire/gas for the thin gauge sheet metal..... and practice....

The welder needs to have the polarity changed inside before I can use the small wire..... can't figure out why but it as to be done. I might even practice doing gas butt welds..... difficult but very precise if you do not constantly burn holes in the metal.....Like Stu says....practice... especially perfect practice does give perfect results.

I also have to do the rear cab skin..... including bending the angle iron according to Phil's documented process.... may use some of the new metal glue to attach center ribs as the spot welder can't reach that deep.

Eventually will build a "rotisserie" ( at least one any ways) to facilitate the reverse engineering of the 2B1 cargo box. That will no doubt necessitate using the large HD pan box brake at the fabricator or his large hydraulic bending press..... the largest gauge on the box is 11 gauge..... most of it is 14 gauge. The problem with the cargo box is that some sections are 90 + inches long and even a modest 12 gauge pan box brake at $4000 can only handle 48 inches.

....but we are having fun.....

Boob
Canada