Thread: My HERO!!!
View Single Post
Old 13-04-03, 00:01
Vets_Dottir

Default ORKNEY

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Thanks Guys and Girl - with all the doom and gloom around at the moment I needed a good laugh.

Carman - Orkney - at least as late as the 1800's there was a district that still carried my mother's family name - Stromness and Harrie. And after the '45 rising they went to Canada, made a fourtune in the fur trade (according to legend), came back here and blew the lot in three generations!

Hi Dave... YES! MARK DESERVES the CREDIT FOR THIS THREAD!!!!!! After all.... HE... started it (grin) Thank goodness! Thank you MARK! The laughter is great medicine and replenishes some energy to pay attention to that gloom and doom stuff. I haven't looked at the news for two days (needed the break and am powerless to fix it!)

ORKNEY....STROMNESS!!! Cool. One of my ancestors is from there. Robert or Edward Mowat... I think EDWARD (will have to check again) I think EDWARD is Father to Robert. Two other places my ancestors hail from are ORPHIR and CAITHNESS (I think I got the Caithness right?) Some other family names are MOWAT, FIRTH, FLETT, PRUDEN, CRAIGIE, SINCLAIR and more, I'm sure. I actually have quite a bit of Scot in me from a few sources and I may even find my Icelandic 'half' ancestors hailed from there as well. I did read that those old Vikings couldn't resist the Scottish lassies. Even stole some of them and took them home to Iceland (grin)

Oh my GAWD.... what if those "brothers" are my ANCESTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're so S C A R E Y....

I'm really glad this thread madefor laughter and lighter zany moments :-)

Carman