View Single Post
Old 14-10-19, 21:29
carrier mech

Most premium fuels that I have dealt with are ethanol free. According to government regulations, fuel must average 5% ethanol. Since most regular grade fuel is 10%, mid grade is 5%, that leaves the premiums to be the non-ethanol grade. The price is what controls the useage.
That said, a quick google into the subject shows that there are premiums out there, including some shell stations, that use the ethanol to increase the octane levels of the fuel to meet the premium octane rating. Google says even shell may use ethanol in some stations with their premium.

I just got over having to fix my virgin John Deere lawn tractor the other day. I mistakenly put in a tankful of ethanol blend about 2 months back, and it would not start. I had to take apart the carb, and the needle valve was stuck in the full open position. Up to then, it had only premium run through it, and even after sitting the winter, would start right up.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the government bothers with the stuff. It generally gets 2% less mileage, and if the intent is to use "renewable" fuel, it seems to me we have enough fossil fuel reserves to outlast the projected use before the electric vehicles take over. Ethanol is a definite boon to the guys who fix chainsaws, lawnmowers, and other small engines.