View Single Post
Old 13-09-22, 00:51
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Man, it hurts the eyes to look at that...thing..
I suppose with enough dollars thrown at it, it might make a comeback..depending on how badly damaged it really is.

My 60cwt had a 235 engine and ran pretty good on the highway, 100 km/h was possible as I drove it a couple times to ottawa and back no prob.. steering was beautiful, and many times on the highways around Montreal, such as out to the W Island to the veterans hospital.

It was a great thrill to see the vets and hear them talk when they saw the truck.. Thankfully there were still quite a few of them still around back then. One guy in Ottawa, must have been in his advanced 70s, asked if he could get in.... sure,.. he scrambled up faster than I could. sat down, caressed the wood steering wheel and had tears in his eyes !!!

Sure you might stuff a new engine and tranny in them, but really that takes so much of the experience out of it...
Heck, I love the whine of straight cut gears, and what young person even knows what a clutch is, let alone 'double clutching".
I see the driving schools around here teaching new drivers in EVs !!!

Yes the effort to rid the world of gasoline is set for 2030, even though EVs are so absolutely not green !!!
That is a myth promoted by those with an agenda, and by those who have never done any of their own research.
In the long run they will be proven to be worse for the environment. And of course they pay no fuel tax which maintains the roads, and helps fund hospitals, infrastructure, police, etc. (The govt is going to make up those lost billions with more taxes and fees...no way they can get by with less revenue)

Not only that but the supply of lithium and cobalt is not plentiful and is controlled mostly by China.

As Li batteries are used in so many things now, including of course military electronics, these should be, and will eventually be, listed as 'strategic" minerals, but by then China will control the market, which it almost does now.

But to Chris' point, I'd tend to agree with him and Bruce. I know so many of our generation who were into restoring old cars, but while young kids may be briefly intrigued, the actual desire to take on such restorations, or even ownership, does not seem to be there.
Putting big rear spoilers, paper thin sidewalls and chrome mags n a Mazda or Honda, and a deliberately loud exhaust isn't the same as restoring a Studebaker, or Pontiac (if they'd ever even heard of those names)

In addition, our hobby concerns WAR machines, and boy are younger folks being conditioned to hate anything related, heck they might get "triggered" by merely seeing a "war machine".

Somewhat related, I knew of several magnificent antique=ish wooden yachts, 1920s to 1950s abandoned and rotten as the skills to maintain them, let alone restore- are few and far between, and the cost is astronomical...result...rot-scrap, gone.

Young people don't have the interest or time, and given the way our economy is being driven into the ground, not the money for sure even if they were interested.

I think prices for restored antique vehicles will continue to rise, but slower, for the next few years, but my guess is in another decade, prices will collapse for lack of market. Not to mention, who's going to buy a vehicle you can't get gas for?

Or won't even be allowed to drive, except perhaps on very special occasions... in other words a huge lawn ornament.

As for our MVs ? How many of your kids are really interested? Mine sure aren't.