View Single Post
Old 18-08-22, 04:34

Default Cmp

While I agree with a couple of opinions posted here ( AN UGLY truck) and investment cost vs finished value, I am not so pessimistic about the fate of properly restored vehicles. I have taken my 15cwt Chev to two local carshows this summer. It is a significant standout from the usual tedious bunch of corvettes, English sports cars and restored grampa cars. Most of the older folks remember them as farm work vehicles. One 80 year old lamented about the tedious hours he had spent driving on a farm 50 years ago. But here is the good news, Every kid that showed up at the show made a beeline to come over and have a look at my Chevy. I would give them the tour, recount some of the production history and tell them about all the Ontario towns and factories that supplied the parts to build it. There was great interest among kids and parents about the history of the CMP. Of course none of this is ever mentioned in our schools or mass media but the audience is there and is interested if we can find ways to connect. In June I took a T16 carrier to a local public school at the invitation of an open minded Principal. The kids were 13 and 14 years old and again very curious. The key to successful teaching is to get the kids interested and I really think they are, perhaps we can create some more vehicle enthusiasts among the younger generation and really immerse them in Canadian military/industrial history. I am much encouraged by the results I have seen over the past few months.