Thread: For Sale: CMP collection - help needed
View Single Post
Old 08-05-22, 16:52
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Finnegan View Post
Barry:

Attachment 128484
Barry I sympathize with your task. My father became ill, was unable to see to his affairs, and passed away leaving me with a house and a big garage to organize. Not vehicle related, but as ones and twos of sometimes very useful and scarce bits. I've been flogging cartridge cases, small mixed lots of ammunition and gun parts, and most recently post war military manuals and papers. It can be a long process.

To help you identify the items in the photo.
- The large mouth jerry cans are for water. Likely coated with something cream or beige coloured.
- The screw top cans are for fuel. Don't be fooled by the USMC stamp on the bottom. That means something like United Steel Manufacturing Company not Marines. The earliest dates naturally have the most collector value. And I'm not sure the difference between smooth seams and proud seams.
- The hook closure types are likely older and British. They copied wartime German cans, and that style has persisted for many years in many forms. - There are no spouts for the water cans, and the two fuel cans have different spout designs.
- The damage happens when the cans sit on concrete or somewhat corrosive surfaces, and the bottom seams start rusting.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!