Thread: C30 Chassis
View Single Post
Old 12-12-20, 21:21

This is going down an interesting route.

I am intrigued that the 1542 and 1543 differences were a 'dual performance axle', which I assume is a 2-speed axle. Does that mean that the last '3' of 1533X2 also means a 2-speed axle and a '1532' truck would have a conventional axle? Would clear up some differences of opinion in the LRDG interest groups. I have been looking for evidence of this other than fuzzy photos for some time. The LRDG specification for the truck does not mention the 2-speed axle, which is a stumbling block for some to be convinced of the 2-speed fixing despite photos.

My original post was to determine whether it would be practical to use an IBG model C30A chassis (I know there are issues with the cab, but its not needed for my build, and the suspension components are a generation better than Tamiya parts.) to do an accurate 1533X2, rather than 'bodge' the 1972 Tamiya kit. Having done lots of research on the LRDG 1533X2 I can't not use it to build the model! Any build needs good and accurate foundations hence the chassis. Looking at numerous posts, On-line parts catalogues, and GM Heritage site for information I think my best bet is to do a scratch built chassis and cross kit various components. The C30A chassis, although related, is not the same as the 1533X2 chassis, but that was a conclusion based on your collective help, so thank you everyone.