View Single Post
Old 28-09-18, 03:59
VMVC

Default Handbrake cable measurements

Hi Grant,

I agree, field measurements can be misleading however it all depends on where you are taking the measurements from versus what the guy putting together the parts manual measures, or the second or third hand measurements he receives.

My measurements were taken from the ends of the outer conduit at the end of the larger diameter sleeves. In the case of the inner cable, the measurements were from the outer end of the ball to the end of the threaded rod on the equalizer side. If someone only measured the exposed cable a different result would be obtained.

The cables were NOS, perfect shape, never kinked, and I compared both cables and obtained the same results. When installed, everything worked perfectly as intended.

If you think about it, the only critical measurement is the difference between the inner cable and outer conduit. The conduit could be 2, 4, 6 inches longer but as long as the inner cable is 12-1/2" longer the system will work just fine.

The parts manual is a great source of info but as I have found out there are a number of inconsistencies throughout. Looks like you may have found the same thing in regard to the specified measurement with your trailer cables.

In using a parts manual, one must keep an open mind and accept that it may not be gospel.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 28-09-18 at 04:13. Reason: Added critical measurment comment