Thread: How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration
View Single Post
Old 12-04-20, 01:17

Hi Jordan.

I am curious because the Wireless Set No. 52 has a Corbin Cabinet Company lock fitted to the front panel of the Sender to prevent the Power Switch being flipped down to the High Power Mode without first being unlocked.

The lock is of the Desk Drawer Style, but it uses the same Corbin model key as those padlocks. The 52-Set keys are all identical, stamped or engraved with the Key Code “PD 1291” on one side. If we round out 52-Set production at 5,000 units, plus spares, then you are on the plus side of 10,000 identical keys from Corbin’s Belleville plant. Each 52-Set was issued with a pair of keys.

Since the Corbin padlocks you have were pretty much a standard issue for all CMP storage lockers, and some CMPs like the FAT had a whack of lockers on them, I started to wonder if all the Corbin issue CMP padlocks were issued with a common key, as it was a very common practise in the automotive industry well into the early 1960’s.

By extrapolation, I then started to wonder if the “PD 1291” key code for the 52-Set locks might be the same that was used for the CMP padlocks. My 52-Set is missing the keys but was fortunately in the unlocked position.

Wheels within wheels. Lots of spare time. And no lock on the beer fridge. A dangerous combination.

David