View Single Post
Old 16-09-12, 13:32

It's an ex-War Office, instructional set which was used to instruct Sappers under class room conditions. Here's a picture of the set of Pontoons which I own.

There are two end pontoons and one centre pontoon per unit and when assembled they look like this.

I can make up about 10 units like this from the set I have and I'm contemplating having more made up. What I really need is more of the basic Bailey Panels to allow me to make a longer bridge. I'm buying a new house soon which has a stream at the back of the property and I'd like to get the Pontoons re-proofed and out on the water by next spring. At present I don't have enough Bailey panels to bridge the entire gap so I've decided to renew my efforts to find more!

I'm also looking at the possibility of having a new sets of the Bailey Model made up. I'm presently waiting on costings coming back from a light engineering factory to have the various fittings made. And on Monday I an appointment with another firm to discuss having the other components made up. Initially these are all for my own use but if all goes according to plan, and the costs aren't too prohibitive, then I might be able to go to market with it by 2014. I'd need to do a bit of market research before committing to that though. In the meantime I though I'd really like to find as much of the original stuff as possible. The more of it I find the more I can ensure that any newer manufacturered items actually work and fit with the older stuff!