View Single Post
Old 02-03-08, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy1011 View Post
Richard -

Many thanks for carrier Nos - can you give me the source - NA File of War Diary ? I have yet to start looking through the Gunner War Diaries at the NA - the same goes for the Inf Bns. But that said, carriers are a big hole in my attempts to date.

Hi Roddy,

The source was the son of a war veteran that served in the 143rd Field Regt. R.A., 49th Infantry Div. The original copy of the weekly returns on vehicle status in the unit. If they were not to Class I or Class II, then they had to be classifies to Class III, IV, V, etc and the amount of hours work shown to bring them to Class II standard. It is several sheets of large paper typed out and signed by the Unit O/C, not something I could scan unfortunately. Probably unusual to come across, but I thought the Census numbers should be recorded in the rare chance that someone may have a vehicle beraring one of these numbers.

The Unit had been stationed in Iceland prior to this, but were brought back to UK in 1942 when the US took over. This unit were then training and preparing for the invasion of Europe.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor