View Single Post
Old 31-08-15, 21:09

Default Transmission / axle wind up !!! Cmp

Hi,

I was driving my 1944 CMP LAAT home this afternoon from a bank holiday show in rather muddy water logged field. It had rained none stop all weekend.

I fired the old girl up and selected 4 wheel drive. I drove across the boggy fields no problem taking it real easy.

When I was out and clear from the mire and onto the hard Tarmac road , I tried to select 2 wheel drive for normal road use..... But the lever was really hard to select 2 wheel drive ..... I shunted forward slowly in first gear then tried again.... With a little less resistance I finally got her into 2 wheel drive and set off home.

As I got up to 20 mph the Cab started bouncing. I pulled over to check if I had a flat tire , but all tyres were fine....... I set off sgain and the bouncing had eased off this time when I got to 20 mph but I noticed that my engine was working harder than usual and it was taking longer to reach cruising speed (35-40mph)

It felt like I was towing a trailer!........ I pulled over again to check if my hand break was released properly or if I had a sticking break drum on one of the wheels ?....... The hand break was free and the wheel hubs cool.

I then tried pushing my lorry on the flat road but I could feel more resistance than normal ..... I tried to select 4 wheel drive again as I suspected that the transmission was to blame.

The selector moved into 4 wheel drive but wanted to spring back hard into 2 wheel drive ..... After selecting 4 wheel drive I reversed back a couple of foot and forward a couple of foot.

I then set off again in 2 wheel drive . It still felt like I was under powered and towing somthing ? I continued on and after a mile or so there was a loud bang and the lorry felt like she hopped or skipped

Suddenly my power came back and I was up to crusing speed and all felt and sounded healthy again...... I got the lorry home safely.

Can anyone one kindly tell me if this was a bad case of Transmission Wind up? ..... Has that loud bang caused any damage ? ..... And what can I do different next time to avoid axle/transmission wind up ?

I really hope I haven't damaged the old girl !!!! I've only just got her back on her feet .

Kind regards,

Mark Towers