View Single Post
Old 29-08-09, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post
Now Im in a bind as to what to do ???

Thanks for some wonderful info cliff........invaluable Ive never seen pictures like these before and they are very helpful.

I still need to unlock the mystery......is this a holgate mod. Or did the guys at holden do this truck a bit differently because it was a portee?

The other thing is what do people think I should do from here to the truck. My initial thought is to just keep going with what Ive got & worry about genuine originality at a later stage.
OK I think the bit above the diff with the upstanding roller is a Holgate addition and is better removed. The flat plate with the rollers which I mistakely took to be forward of the diff are in fact behind it but should be right on the rear of the chassis "underneath the chassis rail" so this is probably another addition. If it were me I'd try and get a standard rear crossmember without all the winch rollers on it and fit it in place of the flat plate and rollers, remove the add on above the diff and return the chassis to a standard 'No winch' LWB chassis and find or build a GS body as close to original as I could and when finished enjoy the thrill of driving it. Most folk would not know it was not a genuine GS from new truck unless you told them. Plus of course in a few years time when you locate an original portee body along with a 2lb anti tank gun you can always swap bodies and tell the purists who critizied your non genuine GS CMP just what a one fingured salute really means.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"