View Single Post
Old 04-11-18, 12:41

Hi everyone,

I appreciate this thread is quite old, but I thought in case anyone is watching you might like to know the latest updates on LCT 7074. Last week, she received the final piece of funding necessary to complete her restoration and display her outside The D-Day Story museum in Portsmouth. You can read more about it here: https://www.nmrn.org.uk/news-events/...g-craft-secure

I've been doing some voluntary research for the National Museum of the Royal Navy into 7074's history and uncovered a few interesting details of her career, and the units she took to Normandy. She actually carried one Cromwell tank of 22 Armoured Brigade's HQ, two Sherman tanks of the 5th Royal Horse Artillery and seven Stuart tanks of the 5 Royal Tank Regiment's recce troop. One of these was drowned during disembarkation on Gold Beach, although the crew survived.

Whilst I've found a few pictures of her on Gold Beach, I've never seen the photo of her in Alex van de Wetering's first post. Does anyone here know its origin or how I might be able to obtain a better copy?

More updates soon I hope,
Steve