View Single Post
Old 22-05-07, 08:58
former Resident Historian

Default NUMBERS

Spot on with the numbers David!

As to shifting these engines..if you think about it The McKinnon Industries Ltd in St Catherines, Ontario which had then to be railed to Windsor, and then built up, and finally railed on to Oshawa for assembly into chassis. My information has it that 5604 engines were assembled in Windsor in February 1943, with over 6000 in March 1943. I have seen a photo of hundreds of engines stored at Windsor awaiting shipping...the one that you referred to must have shifted very quickly otherwise it could just be a replacement I suppose (without knowing what the build plate states was the original).

We know that human nature being what it is, the guys on the floor reached for the nearest parts to use and so sometimes they were installed quicker than other parts that were at the back of the pile or store. Hence the disparity in engine numbers versus chassis numbers. I have often wondered whether there were any missives from management in auto plants to use up the old stock at the back of the storage area, or bottom of the stacked crates.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 22-05-07 at 12:04.