View Single Post
Old 24-12-18, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
I went with a lot of skepticism to see this documentary on the 17th in Ottawa. I am not a fan of colourization as I basically consider it a gimmick to draw people to see museum exhibits and buy the supporting book preaching how much research went into the process. So I was therefore prepared for the usual low grade documentary I have come to expect from seeing what the History Channel regurgitates every Remembrance Week.

I could not have been more mistaken. This documentary is an exceptional piece of restoration and melds the 1960 BBC interviews of FWW veterans with complimentary pieces of actual footage. The 3D and colourization is handled expertly and does not detract from the show.

Stay for Peter Jackson's commentary after the credits (many people had left) as he answered all of the questions I had about the project and I could see that this was a man with a passion for the subject and who also had both the skills and means to complete the project in the style and manner it deserved.

I am still not sold on colourization, but at least in this case I did not feel like I was being pandered to or had just wasted time I will never get back.

The next showing in Ottawa and across the country is on the 27th, go and see this documentary, it is two hours well spent. Now take all those horrendously bad and historically inaccurate 'Passchendaele' movies which were foolishly given to schools as a teaching aid and instead replace them all a copy of this documentary.
Ed, can I quote this on facebook?