View Single Post
Old 05-06-11, 16:39

Default Bearings and seals experience.

When I was purchasing bearings and seals I use a small dirm in Ottawa that had a web search engine that allowed them to look up parts by dimensions. As long has I had the proper precise metric ID....OD..... thickness.....application.... they were able to find modern replacements.

I did the axles, tranny and T case. At the barn we had 3 instances were the proper bearing could not be found....

..... the flat bearing for the front axle egg cup.... New departure 928....... did find a few old stock but at fantastic prices..... but Dirk has ome NOS.

The bottom bearing for the rear of the tranny was impossible to find.... but found some good used ones from our stock of spare transmissions.

On the HUP front axle there is an inner oil seal..... that keeps the differential oil from moving to the eggcup...... we could not find the proper ID / OD combination...... we opted for the proper ID size and had a local machine shop make an adapter from aluminium that matched available OD dimensions. Installed easily and was pegged in place with a centre punch.

Bob
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 05-06-11 at 20:27.