View Single Post
Old 12-03-05, 00:56
former Resident Historian

Default Thoughts

Tony, I owe an apology as I took up your point about the DND designation of the F15/F15A etc. and expanded it and allowed there to show how Model Numbers and DND designations owed nothing to each other. I confused readers.

I am not sure I agree about the independence of the Ford Model series. Whilst basic chassis type model numbers were shared between the USA, Canada, Germany, England, Romania, South Afica, and Australia, the Windsor Plant under Stan Ellis created unique designs that owed little to the Dearborn versions excepting in a major way the Forward Control/COE designs that Windsor did not have pre-1940. The Canadian model numbers were unique because they used the standard Ford system and were adapted for each Windsor design or adaptation in the case of the MCPs. I have studied the DND papers on the development of the CMPs and it is abundently clear that Windsor were on their own and acted independently of Dearborn and in concert with GM of Canada [which was largely GM Corporation-owned] save that they relied on the US company for the provision of components and expertise when Windsor were not able to source themselves. Whilst many Canadian Fords used identical model numbers to the US versions, with 'C' prefix to confirm Windsor assembly, plus as has been said US-style suffixes, the Canadians were also acting independently. Even Dagenham used the US-style model numbers and suffixes and only went totally independent in 1951 [with the Consul and Zephyr cars: EOTA etc.] .

Then again we have to add the 'E' prefix for Dagenham-assembled Canadian chassis from 1940-2, i.e. 'EC' prefixes in front of the Canadian model number. Dagenham also used 'W' prefixes in front of the imported US chassis and used their 'WOT' series designations for War Office /Ministry of Supply contracts with a sequential suffix that did not pander to the worldwide Ford model numbering system and yet the chassis themselves were either adapated standard chassis or purpose-designed.

From my notes:

W0A1 Ford V-8 3.6 3-spd 9’ 0” saloon staff car
W0C1 Ford V-8 3.6 4-spd 9’ 4” 8-cwt.
W0A2 Ford V-8 3.6 3-spd 9’ 0” 4 door estate car
W0T2: see below
W0T3 Ford V-8 3.6 4-spd 11’ 11” 30-cwt.
W0T6 Ford V-8 3.6 4-spd 11’ 11” 3-ton 4 x 4; Forward-Control
W0T8 Ford V-8 3.6 4-spd 11’ 11” 30-cwt. 4 x 4; Forward-Control
W0T9 Ford V-8 3.6 4-spd CAPLAD prototype rear-engined based on W0T6 chassis

'WOC1 was a Ministry of Supply order Model 01C, which were in fact supplied by Ford, USA, as a 1940 Model with 30 h.p. V-8. ' WOT1 was a 6-wheeled 143½-inch truck chassis with 42 7/16-inch Sussex bogie conversion for the Ministry of Supply and Air Ministry for the RAF, with 30 h.p. V-8 engine [WOT1 was s.w.b., WOT1A l.w.b., the R.A.F. using them for barrage balloon winches etc. WOT3 and WOT4 were replaced by WOT5, which was a six-wheeled Fordson Sussex load carrier'.

'WOT2 A GS infantry truck aeroscreens and a sheeted rear body (no tilt frame)
WOT2 B As the A model but with a tilt frame covered rear body referred to as a van body
WOT2 C evolution of the A model, but still with aeroscreens and other small changes.
WOT2 D as the B model, but with windscreen changes again. Still tilt frame and cover...
WOT2 E Infantry truck, fully enclosed cab and full windscreen, wooden body, tilt frame and cover.
WOT2 F As E but without the tilt frame and cover and with a steel body. Still titled infantry truck
WOT2 H Appears similar to the to the E model but possibly with out the tilt frame and cover'.

I thought it might be helpful to confirm the GM of Canada model numbers for CMPs and MCPs. CMPs:

8420 C8
8421 C15
8440 CGT
8441 C30S/C30
8442 C60S
8443 C60L
8444 C15A
8445 C8A
8446 Fox and Rhino
8447 Otter and CAPLAD
8448 C8AX
8449 C15TA
8660 C60X

To this must be added all the theoretically available MCP Chevrolet, Maple Leaf and GMC trucks. This is a link to my list of 1940 and 1941-45 trucks by Model Number, etc. BUT not all were actually produced in the war despite them all being listed by GM of Canada.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/.../YEAR CODE.htm

Note that '8' was the CMP series, whereas Chevrolet & ML was '1' and GMC '9' as a prefix to the Model number, then '4' and '6' was the series, and '2' was 4 x 2, '4' 4 x 4 and '6' '6 x 6' drive, with the last digit applied sequentially and arguably chronologically as each chassis type was signed-off, ranging from '0' to '9' with the C8/C15 and C60X in seperate series from the 4 x 4 series.

Tony reminds us of the DND series F-60448-M etc., which relates to capacity, wheels, drive and a sequential number. I have I think all these codes for Ford and GM if anyone needs them.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 12-03-05 at 01:29.