Thread: Dirk Leegwater
View Single Post
Old 31-01-20, 14:41
HUP guy

Default Dirk RIP

Stefan, we are so sorry to learn of Dirk's passing.

It was a long hard struggle for him and we hope you find comfort he is no longer suffering. Please pass on our sincere condolences to Astrid, Sjoertje, Mariska, Patricia and the whole LWD family.

This is a sad time but do reflect on all the good memories you have . As Hanno has best said, Dirk was "a leading figure in our hobby for many decades." The fact he was such a lover of things Canadian, especially CMP vehicles has helped everyone of us here. Dirk was truly one of the original CMP guys, as a collector, restorer and as a dealer.

For Barry Churcher and me this began in Normandy in 1994 when we were introduced by Ruud Francissen. Dirk was waiting in his HUP for the KTR parade to start. This was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the liberation of Pont Audemer (Aug 26, 1944) by the Princes Irene Brigade.

From that initial meeting our long time friendship began. We have so many great memories over the years, from visiting Broek op Langedijk, working on the beach, attending Liberation and D Day events in Holland and Normandy, staying in the LWD tent at the War & Peace show and his annual fall 'buying' trips to Castleton. Dirk had a real knack for searching out and finding interesting things right here in our Ontario backyard with repeat visits to among others, Brian Asbury, Bob Phillips and the Elliot Brothers in Newtonville. Our side trips to Fall Hershey will long be remembered. Back at Barry's Castleton Staging Yard, nobody could stuff a container like Dirk (and you and Albert).

I know Dirk liked to be thought of a doer - not a "paper guy" and his restorations showed that. But he sure had the largest and best collection of CMP and other military vehicle books and manuals I know of. We have many great memories of wonderful hours spent around the big table in the LWD library reading the books and drinking coffee or Amstel. I will always be grateful to Dirk for the two occasions we got to meet and spend time talking with and learning from Bart Vanderveen.

He will be missed. Dirk, rest in peace.

Brian

Last edited by Brian Gough; 31-01-20 at 15:01.