View Single Post
Old 03-03-18, 03:26

Default Flakpanzer restoration team -response to questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
"Benefit of the doubt" is great, if this were a high school auto shop project; but it isn't. It is an expensive project on an important and unique piece of German SWW armour, held by a DND museum.
Good day. Thanks for your interest in the project. My name is Guy and I'm a member of the Restoration Team Leadership. I will answer some of your questions below.

Quote:
I would have a better felling about this project if there was more information available other than a Facebook page and some dated news media reports.
Until our webpage is stood up, you may also follow progress and updates on YouTube.

Quote:
For a major project like this, the questions I have are;
What is the goal of the project?
Goal: Cosmetic restoration (inside and outside) for indoor storage with a target completion of Dec 2022. Depending on level of success of the cosmetic phase, consideration to be given to further restoration to possibly include making it a runner but this is not the initial intent.

Quote:
Who is the project manager?
The project is managed by a team of 6 members which for the executive:

Team Lead and project initiator myself (also involved in PR/ sponsorship outreach): Guy D.
Turret and weapons restoration Crew leader: Dave T.
Chassis restoration Crew leader/assistant: Neil H. / Colin A.
Project Manager (using Smart Sheet): Mark P.
PR/Media Coord and Fin Manager: Steve F.

Quote:
Who is in charge of PR/media?
see above

Quote:
What is the PR/media plan?
Development of Website: in progress
Videos and photos: Sabot Videos / CFB Borden Base Imagery.
Crowdfunding campaign (planning in progress)

Quote:
Who is in charge of the finances and what is the project budget?
Based on our business plan: Cosmetic restoration budget is set at 175K CDN.
So far fund raised close to 10k

Quote:
Who is in charge or raising funds and who are the sponsors?
Steve F. / Myself plus a team of graduates from the marketing department at Georgian College

Quote:
What facilities and equipment are available for the project?
Under the care of the Borden Museum; currently using building adjacent to main Museum. Also receiving support from RCEME School and Base Maintenance.

Quote:
Who is conducting the research?
We have a team of three helping out with research and outreach currently engaged with various organisations/experts including; Weald Foundation (UK), Musée des Blindées de Saumur (France), Kevin Wheatcroft Collection (UK), Hilary Louis Doyle (Ireland) Author of several German AFV publications.

Quote:
Who is in charge of acquiring parts?
Mainly our Crew leaders (turret and chassis) assisted by members of their respective crews.

Quote:
Who is on the restoration team?
Total of 23 volunteers (including the 3 from Sabot Videos)

Quote:
Who is overseeing the quality of the work?
Neil H. our senior restorer / Dave T Sr weapons tech

Quote:
Does anyone working on this project have any experience with a project of this magnitude and if so what was that experience?
Yes three with previous restoration experience, including work done on the Hetzer. We also have three CAF weapons technicians (including a Chief Warrant Officer senior tradesman), one CAF material technician and 2 civilian certified heavy evehicle mechanics. Our project Manager is a certified professional with extensive experience in this field.

Quote:
Are there examples of previous projects that this team have worked on?
As the current team, this is our first major project of such magnitude.

Quote:
What are the milestones and the end-date for the project?
End Dec 2022

Quote:
I don't see any of this on the Facebook page.
More detailed information will be available once the website is stood up.

Hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to follow the progress of the work on FB and YouTube. Once web site is set up, we will announce it on FB.

[moderator's note: edited to separate the questions (in quotes) from the answers]

Last edited by Guy Grenadier; 03-03-18 at 18:59.