View Single Post
Old 21-06-20, 18:46

This 52-Set is never short of surprises, large and small.

I have now finished cleaning all three Flick Drive Assemblies on the Sender today. The surprise this time around was fortunately a small one, but interesting none the less.

When I got to the Frequency Dial Drive on the far left side of the Sender and was removing the Lower Flick Arm, I noticed for the first time that it was different from the other two Lower Flick Arms. And from all other five Flick Arms for that matter. They are all the same, just mounted differently if being used as an Upper or Lower.

A closer look at the odd one confirmed it was actually a Flick Arm from a 19-Set. In the first photo attached, you can see the subtle difference. The 19-Set arm is on the left and the 52-Set arm on the right. The difference is in the extreme left tip of the arm.

As you can see, the tip of the 19-Set arm is stepped down from the last mounting hole to the end. On the 52-Set arm, the lower edge of the arm runs full length to the end curve and is cut back at an angle at the top end.

With the 19-Set arm installed, the end of the arm stuck out slightly beyond the edge of the Upper Drive Disc. I do not think this would create any problems in doing so. It might be a different matter, however, if a 19-Set arm was installed as an Upper Flick Arm in a 52-Set. That end-mounting hole near the tip is actually fitted over the central Flick Indicator Flag Spring Hub and the tip plays a role in activating the Flags by means of applying tension to the Indicator Leaf Springs. Different tips would end up applying pressure on these springs at different points and times. I was not interested in exploring that any further, so removed the Lower Flick Arm and Spring assembly from my spare receiver and installed it onto the Flick Drive in the Sender.

Now I have to decide if the Sender Blower Door is the next restoration step, polishing it back to an acceptable paint patina, or switching over to finish fine tuning my recently assembled, new band saw so I can cut the pine boards needed to restore the missing partition in the 52-Set Tool Box.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Flick Arm Comparison 19:52-Sets.JPG   WS No. 52 Sender 51.JPG