View Single Post
Old 16-04-20, 17:41

Default SOCKETS, Antenna, w/Sleeve & Phenolic Cover, No. C1 ZA/CAN 4258

It was a bit of a slow process last night to get the SOCKETS, Antenna assembly off the front panel, but I am sure glad the Sender is resting safely on its back for this work. Gravity definitely works in ones favour when removing hardware. Especially when so much of it turns out to be plated brass and you have no hope of securing, or retrieving it, with a magnet. I have only had one part get away on me and it simply fell down to the back of the chassis onto the work desk.

As expected with this SOCKETS, I had to start on the centre rear terminal post with a small 3’8 inch spanner from the right hand side and work the retaining hex nut loose a couple of turns. The locking ring terminal on the end of the antenna feed wire fits between two small flat washers and then the hex nut was applied to tighten everything down.

Once the hex nut was loose, I switched to my ¼ drive 3/8-inch socket with no handle. There is simply no room to use one. I was able to place it over the hex nut and hold it there with one fingertip of my left hand, coming in from the top of the chassis. I could then reach in from the right side of the chassis with thumb and index finger of my right hand to slowly turn the socket. When the hex nut came free of the centre post, it simply dropped inside the socket and the flat washer rested on the outer lip. I could then place the socket down on the phenolic board behind the SOCKETS, Antenna and slide it to the right side of the chassis for removal. A pair of small needle nose pliers was then used to gently move the antenna feed wire and terminal off the post and the inner flat washer just dropped onto the phenolic board where I could retrieve it with a fingertip.

The three sets of hardware that actually mount the SOCKETS, Antenna to the front panel of the Sender are held in place with 5/16-inch hex nuts. There is enough space behind the front panel to access them with the appropriate socket on a quarter drive handle, but not much room to swing the handle. The solution was to hold the socket in place and use a screwdriver to undo the machine screws from the front of the SOCKETS. As soon as the screws loosened, I found I could easily unscrew them and pull them out. The hex nuts and small lock washers simply fell back into the 5/16-inch socket. Interestingly enough, only the mounting hardware in the lower left section of the SOCKETS still had their original lock washers (external star style). The other two must have disappeared when the Sender was overhauled.

Down to just a handful of things to release from the front panel now and then it should be just a pile of screws to undo to release the front panel from the chassis assembly.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 SOCKETS, Antenna 3.JPG   WS No. 52 Sender 34.JPG