View Single Post
Old 22-11-19, 20:57

Default WS No. 52 Supply Unit (SN 5792)

This little (though remarkably heavy) gem arrived in this morning’s Mail, the beginning of the end of a process that started several weeks ago.

The Serial Number is 5792 and the interior chassis area, apart from a little dust, is almost factory new. The front panel, tells a somewhat different story. This set was sitting quietly in a work shop down East for several decades. Said shop appears to have been heated by means of either a wood stove or oil stove, which threw a lot of smoke. The photo of the front panel does not do the amount of crud accumulated on the panel justice at all. The set must also have been stored close to the ground, as humidity has had a chance to oxidize the plating behind the front panel plate. This is particularly noticeable along the bottom inch or so, where the paint has lifted, and also, to a lesser degree, immediately above the Receiver Power Supply assembly on the right side.

The set was rebuilt in 202 Base Workshop, Montreal in 1966, with three Mods being done. I have yet to check my files to determine what those modifications were, so more on that later, as the information unfolds.

Interestingly, both dynamotors were built in 1945, and since the Supply Unit was built in 1944, clearly the dynamotors were replaced at some point while the set was in service.

For the time being, I think I will be limiting myself to a slow, careful cleaning of the front panel of this Supply Unit, so it at least looks like it belongs next to the main set receiver I have been working on. I might even get this cleaning done this weekend. The Sender is currently on its way to me so if I get the Supply Unit cleaned up this weekend, I will still have something to do next weekend.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Supply Unit 1.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 2.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 3.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 4.JPG