View Single Post
Old 29-10-20, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Martel View Post
Doug,

I don't know if I can provide a definitive answer for you, but I have the following.

When 1 Cdn Div embarked for England in December 1939, it contained three MG battalions. The reason being that, at the time, each infantry brigade contained an MG battalion. MG battalions later became a Corps asset, and no further MG battalions were sent overseas until April 1941.

The first three MG battalions were:
The Saskatoon Light Infantry (M.G.);
The Royal Montreal Regiment (M.G.); and
The Toronto Scottish Regiment (M.G.).

Once the MG battalions became Corps assets, they would have been assigned Corps serials. It's also best to remember that units, when numbering was involved, were done so in order of seniority. The seniority of the three battalions were as they're listed above with the SLI being the senior and the TSR being the junior.

I would also suggest the serials 45, 46 and 47 would have been assigned accordingly. So there is a very good chance that Corps serial 47 in 1940 would have been for The Toronto Scottish Regiment (M.G.).

Cheers,
Dan.
Thank you for this information Dan!

It would indeed make sense that '47' was for The Toronto Scottish Regiment.

The reason for my enquiry is in connection with the attached photo which I recently came across. The Canadian Corps vehicle marking and the absence of insignia on the uniform of the driver would suggest that the photo was taken c.1940. The tam o'shanter would be consistent with The Toronto Scottish Regiment.
Attached Images