View Single Post
Old 08-02-10, 04:15

Default The impossible dream......

Well after listening to all the good advice...... and the nay sayer who said the 10:50 Chevron tires would not fit a CMP rim.....and not knowing any better.... we did it.....

Pictures will follow from Grant and Rob.

The tire shop guys said to me the last time I was over begging for tire lube.... "Why don't you guys use threaded rods to get the rim together if you can't reach the two long studs......?

That set my mind to thinking how to build a device that would not damage the painted rims.... and safe and easy to use...

Well I built two steel tubing crosses.... drilled for the drum bolt pattern... got 36 inches of 3/4 threaded rod and nuts......cut the rods in 4 pieces a bit of welding and whalla!!!

The pictures will show you what I mean. The device is intended to install the tire bead on the lower and longer half of the rim. The messy tire lub they sold me worked like K-Y jelly on a new bride..... smissshh !!!

One cross fits the under side of the lower half of the rim....tire is expended and held open with square pieces of two x four lumber....... remember I am only instaling the tire bead on the lower half of the rim.... Phil.. tire was cold... the lube was like crystalized snoot.... the upper cross is 18 inches across and spans the tire bead... we added cut off pieces of 1x2 steel left over from the ends of the crosses to push the bead down enough so we coiuld remove the inner cross...... so when you screw the 4 large bolts the bead is forced evenly over the edge of the lubed rim with hardly any hesitation.

Once the tire bead is properly installed on the lower half.... we removed the rig and inserted the tube and flap..... partly inflated the tube... enough to position the tube BUT not enough to bulge the flap between the rim. We did use a flat stick to make sure everything was in the right place.

The top half of the rim was then applied....even forgot to lube the top half... by now the two longer rim studs reched and allowed to install the nuts.... the rest is nuts on..... tighten evenly..... inflate deflate.. reinflate. At 30 psi the tire was fully seated and not even a "pop" was heard....just slipped in place like nothing.

Now we have 3 more to do for mine..... plus dozen more to come.

It sure beat the hell out of trimming beads, hammering the bead on the rim, cursing......

Now if the casing had been softer with mild weather it would have been even easier. Every garage should have one....cost about $20 of steel and $20 for rod and nuts...... getting tire done at the tire shop.... $20 + pick up and delivery time..... the experience of doing it yourself...safely and without breaking into a sweat....priceless.

Having Grant and Rob to help is a luxury!!!

Boob
Canada