Thread: MLU Shirts
View Single Post
Old 22-04-09, 21:03
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Red Friday..

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm erik bogaert View Post
well I can tell you something Ill wager you havnt served as long as me!secondly I dont live under no rock!and I still dont know what it is about wearing a red shirt on a friday!!!is this just a north-american thing....please take the time to explain best regards malcolm
Mally B..
(And I won't get into a pissing match over service)
Here is how it started ..by a couple of wives whose husbands were serving in Afghanistan...

Quote:
Red Friday

Just keeping you "in the loop" so you'll know what's going on in case this takes off.(This was posted in '06... Has anyone heard of Red Friday's?
« on: April 18, 2006, 23:31:48 »)

RED FRIDAYS ----- Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday. The reason? Canadians who support our troops used to be called the "silent majority". We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers. We are not organized, boisterous or over-bearing. We get no liberal media coverage on TV, to reflect our message or our opinions.

Many Canadians, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of Canadians supporting our troops. Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday -and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that.. Every red-blooded Canadian who supports our men and women afar will wear something red

By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make Canada on every Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers. If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, co-workers, friends, and family. It will not be long before Canada is covered in RED and it will let our troops know the once "silent" majority is on their side more than ever, certainly more than the media lets on.

The first thing a soldier says when asked "What can we do to make things better for you?" is...We need your support and your prayers. Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and wear some thing red every Friday.

Wearing red on Friday is like giving our troops a huge round of applause
by Lisa Brazeau

Like an undulating ocean of red and CADPAT green, a literal sea of supporters flowed down Petawawa Boulevard waving Canadian flags, banners and handmade signs.

In an impressive show of appreciation for the men and women of the CF and their families, thousands turned out for a homegrown Red Friday Rally and March of Military Appreciation, filling the parking lot at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 517, Petawawa with the signature colour.

“Wearing red on Friday is like giving our troops a huge round of applause,” said Lisa Miller who along with Karen Boire brought Canada-wide attention to the grassroots Red Fridays Campaign. “When we all wear red together, it adds volume to our voices in colour. It speaks of our support, our pride and our appreciation for our Canadian Forces members and their families.”

Ms. Miller and Ms. Boire, the “Red Friday Ladies”, worked closely with 580 CFRA last year to bring a massive Ottawa Red Friday rally to Parliament Hill, and wanted to bring the initiative to the home front where so many have seen their loved ones deploy to Afghanistan, and so many soldiers have paid the ultimate sacrifice. “No matter how many people show up, whether it be 15 or 15 000, it makes the rally, and the message we're sending, a success,” noted Ms. Boire.

Like ‘Red Fridays’, the local rally also garnered national attention; among the dignitaries were Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor, and Chief of the Defence Staff General Rick Hillier.

“These rallies and all the other demonstrations of support are immensely important to those of us in uniform and I don't need to tell this crowd about sacrifice, service or duty. You live it every day,” said Colonel Denis Thompson, 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group commander, who through personal experience, attested to the positive impact local support has had on morale overseas. “It's significant, it does resonate here, and frankly it gives our efforts real meaning.”

To date, successful Red Friday rallies have been held in numerous communities. The Prime Minister applauded the Petawawa community not just for fanning the flames of the Red Friday movement, “but because of the incredible strength and support this community has displayed over the past 12 months while hundreds of troops from CFB Petawawa have been deployed in Afghanistan,” he said.

“I know that it hasn't been easy. This community has had more losses to mourn than any other base in this country. But you have stood firm in support of our troops because you're so proud of them and you should be.”

He spoke of the numerous unsung heroes in Afghanistan, not just Canadians but everyone who has had a part in helping the Afghan people reclaim and rebuild their war ravaged country. He also noted that nine soldiers from the base were recently honoured for their service overseas.

It’s progress made possible, too, by the support Canadians have for their military and the mission in Afghanistan, said Mr. O'Connor. “I've been to Afghanistan three times, and I can tell you how important it is for our troops over there to know that this mission has the support of Canadians, a mission that is critical to the future of Afghanistan,” he said. “Today, through this rally, we can remind our troops that we are behind them 100 percent.”

The rally, he added, is also an opportunity to acknowledge the sacrifices made by military families, and the “vital support they provide to our men and women in uniform, sustaining them while they carry out their duties. Thank them for all they do to keep the Canadian Forces strong.”
MB..
google Red Friday and get much more info if you are interested..