View Single Post
Old 10-11-03, 23:21
HUP guy

Default Memorial to Little Norway at Gravenhurst Dedicated May 8, 2002

Hi Lars,

A Google search for "Little Norway Gravenhurst" produced the following:

Remarks by the Hon. James K. Bartleman
at the Dedication of a Memorial to Little Norway by the King and Queen of Norway

Gravenhurst Airport / 8 May 2002

As the representative in Ontario of Her Majesty The Queen of Canada, and on behalf of the eleven million citizens of Ontario, I am delighted to greet Your Majesties on the official start of your tour of our province.

Having been born and raised here, it is a particular honour for me to welcome you to Muskoka. My only regret is that your visit here is short, and that you will not have time to savour our pristine lakes and majestic forests - those aspects of Muskoka's unique geography which inspired the paintings of Canada's Group of Seven, who were themselves greatly influenced by the work of Scandinavian artists.

The similarity between Muskoka's landscape and the lakes and forests of Norway is but one aspect of the strong bond between our people. Today, we commemorate one of the most powerful symbols of that bond, the airbase at Little Norway, where crews of the Royal Norwegian Air Force trained during World War II. From this aerodrome, several thousand Norwegian airmen returned to Europe, where they served with valor and distinction alongside Allied forces.

I know that your family, Your Majesty, made several visits to Little Norway during the War, and that you yourself visited the original Little Norway in Toronto as a young boy. Among the many memorabilia of Little Norway is a charming photograph of you, unveiling a Fairchild elementary trainer, under the watchful and proud gaze of your late mother.

I am delighted that the district of Muskoka has made this site available, for the establishment of a memorial to honour the brave men and women, both Norwegian and Canadian, who lived the history of Little Norway.

Your presence here today is a great honour for all Ontarians, and especially for those of us who call this beautiful and historic region home. Together with the memorial that will serve as a lasting reminder of the history of this place, your visit is a tribute to the courage, bravery, and solidarity of the people of Canada and our Norwegian allies, during the dark days of World War II.

Welcome, Your Majesties - thank you for joining us to commemorate our joint role in what Winston Churchill called "our finest hour."

I recall there was quite good coverage in the press for this event. Also there is a great book on the subject done after the war that appears for sale infrequently. Regrettably I didn't buy one when I had the chance.

Brian