Thread: Wanted: "Unstucker" Flanges
View Single Post
Old 12-07-13, 17:30
carrier mech

Well, I wouldn't say "nice"!!

As to the shovel under the hood, more than once we had to chisel the hoods open for the drivers who went on ex without the key to the hood padlock, and now had a flat, or had run out of coolant. Makes one wonder how they managed a DI before the road move. Most of them had the answer though, and threw it at us as soon as we pulled up to them: "I am not the driver". I would look 40 miles up the highway, and 40 miles down the highway......the driver must of vaporized because he was nowhere to be seen. No idea how the Iltis and this poor fellow got here.

I love the scrub oaks of Shilo. They run over nicely and leave a smell that's better than a car freshener. Now if the tree actually gets bigger than a couple inches one must rethink the running over part. I recall running over poplars so thick it almost stood my old 3/4 ton up....then I hit that one oak. Stopped the old dodge dead.

The unstucker was actually well suited to Shilo. You could dig a small slit trench in the sand, drop in your spare tire with the little unstucker wrench in the hole, tie the drag line of the unstucker kit to the wrench, and then winch yourself out. Try and do that anywhere else that had rocks in the earth. Once done, you could recover your spare tire, then throw the remaining unstucker kit into the slit trench and bury it. You could now say you used one, but knew you never wanted to again.

That method would actually also work with snow banks. I had to do it once with my CJ7 on a lonely country road in Saskatchewan. However, I had a Warn winch, rather than a mess of plates and ropes.