Thread: WW2 Photos
View Single Post
Old 26-04-08, 12:52
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Chevs

The lighter 1 ton variant is rather scarce . Back in 1981 I bought a ex army 1941 1 tonner for 50 bucks , up at Orange NSW . It had the GMH cab and sat on 17" wheels. I flat towed it from Orange to Cargo behind my 1946 Dodge ute .It was vandalised by the locals thee and ended up a wreck, it was in very good cond. too. The cab had a stencil on the wall .
VANS 1 Ton GS .

The little GMH badge said - paint : KHAKI 'defence enamel green'.

It was hairy towing it along the hilly road from Orange . The rear tray was a wooden thing .. original army one was long gone . Somebody had removed the cyl. head and it was in the back . The brakes worked well .

On the same trip I found a Fordson WOT2H in a field of lucerne . The local Butcher in Canowndra owned it . I approahed him and I got it free ! I borrowed Bedford wheels and flat towed it to Cargo behind the Dodge ,my 15 year old nephew steered it . Its brakes worked too , mechanical type.The skinny Bedford 20" wheels made it look very odd . The gearbox was full of water . i had to remove the rear half shafts to move it . It was in December and the heat nearly killed me , it was jammed on a old log and I had to jack it off . The door had a graziers name on it .. from Canberra of all places .The cab was excellent .. front wings stuffed . chassis good . Wish I had kept it . I sold it for 100 bucks to a NSW collector . I've got pics of all this .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad