View Single Post
Old 29-01-24, 22:57

Default Thanks everyone......

Will need to post pictures of the ends on my mats which are slotted and offset in height to ease connection.....Got mine from Robin in Kingston.

Thanks Patrice that manual TM 5-255 is a good clue for more research.....

Seen them used as fence for pig pens but never to store empties....Hanno must have had a good party to save that many empties.....

We have tried using the mats we have to connect at 90 degrees but the spacing of the slots are totally different...... the USA training film on U tube shows the plain end models which they stagger the joints for greater strength.

Mine will serve dual purpose....day time stored inside the 2B1 cargo box vertical/sideways just before the fender wells and the vertical spare tire mount we fabricated.....located side ways..... so they will be trimmed to 79 inches long. At night flat on the fender well boxes laid flat and locked together as a sleeping cot with an air mattress. The front headboard of the cargo box is taken up by the 10:50 spare tire and two small barrells
(60 liters each) of extra fuel strapped in solid.

For occasional soft ground mats use, we are considering welding 3/8 cheap or old rusted nuts to improve traction....one quick zap with the MIG welder inside the hole of each nut....will buy bulk!!!

I did consider storing them externally on the sides of the box but they will interfere with the canvass tie down ropes....... but remain open to suggestions........ Maybe will carry 4 pieces and devise a clip of some sort to tied them together end to end........
In the Western area of PQ we propose to 4x4 in, soft sand and loose gravel is very common in the low areas and bare solid bed rock on the mountain tops........all eroded by the ice shields......... winching can be a problem as solid tie down spots are hard to find....... trees have very superficial root systems......which leaves you with carrying 4 foot sections of re-bars to create chained ground anchors similar to artillery units or burying you spare tire or a log....... what a way to waste a full day......

You can tie down to other convoy members, but two jeeps sideways are needed to pullout a bogged down CMP....... and you loose popularity points very fast..... and on some occasions I propose to travel alone and travel more cautiously..... no cell connection or services.

BC
Canada