View Single Post
Old 15-09-13, 23:26

Default Sidelights/Convoy Lights

My 1944 Willys MB jeep came out of Norway surplus in the mid-1980s and appears to have been in British Airborne service before the Norwegians got it. I uncovered Norwegian service markings and the original USA Registration number (on the front bumper!) but as the hood (bonnet) had been changed in service there were no British markings. :-( None on the sides or rear either. I like to think that it was one of the many that were left behind in Norway after 1 Airborne Division & SAS Bde liberated Norway in May 1945. I say this because mine had some British features:
1. Four holes in the top of each fender (wing) for the airborne stowage racks
2. Sidelights/convoy lights had been moved to the wings/fenders, but later moved back into the grille and the holes in the fenders/wings were welded shut.
3. Oil dipstick cap painted red
4. British style hinged door mounts on side of windshield frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Larry,

In "The Wartime Jeep in British Service" by Gavin Birch lists the modifications carried out by the British to have them comply to their requirements. But due to the pressures of war only relatively few were converted as such. I would have to look up the details, but one cannot draw the conclusion those Jeeps were allocated direct to the Canadians because it does not have the British modifications.

Hanno

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC