View Single Post
Old 29-03-06, 14:54
Stephen

Default Manufacturers Reply

With reference to Mike's comments I feel I have to defend my work. I am a full time dealer and manufacturer of leather flying helmets, oxygen masks etc. supplying major UK museums,the film and TV trade and have produced a large quantity if not the majority of the reproduction World War II jeep gaitors over the last 18 years both here in England and in Europe. I am responsible for the Carrier steering gaitors currently on E Bay. I am a long term military vehicle owner of some 30 years and know nothing of the finer points of Bren Gun carriers which is evident by my claim that these gaitors would fit a T16 - something which my friends ridiculed me about at the weekend and I am now aware that they have a different steering system. That said, the comment that my product is "cheaply made" is offensive, with the horsehide at over £4 a square foot which is the material clearly stated in the advert and not as Mike claims cow "suede" hide. How he can make this statement of fact is laughable. Bearing in mind that I was asked to make a pair of these gaitors for a friend's Windsor Carrier and having made the pattterns (which incidentally were taken from the remnants of an original gaitor and measurements direct form the vehicle) decided to make a pair and try them on E Bay. Being somebody who makes their living from producing quality items, it bothers me that this Forum can be used to attack a man's product and livelihood with no justification or knowledge of the item in question. I have had no communication from Mike directly regarding the gaitors and as one pair are in view of me at this moment and the others are with my friend I am at a loss as to how he can make this statement. There are far too many people who set themselves up as an an authority on a particular subject having had very little hands on experience. For instance, how many sets of original gaitors has Mike had his hands on? Presumably not that many as he has had to make a set. I am sure whilst there may be some original drawings giving the specification for the hide we all know that in wartime such items would have been made of any leather available and it is quite possible that no 2 sets of original surviving gaitors would be a perfect match. Stephen