Thread: RCAF Clothing
View Single Post
Old 22-06-03, 16:53
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default RCAF Clothing

Just stumbled onto an old box of my father's... in it were some interesting bits of old clothing from his RCAF days (1944-45). First, there's a battledress in VG condition, along with his service dress jacket. Next, a very ratty blue parka with the label gone but a nice c-broad arrow imprint; and lastly, an insulated flight suit, labelled "Deacon Flying-suit 1942". The last is interesting because it has a zipped-on collar about 5 inches high, lined with fur on the inside, but the same blue denim as the parka on the outside. It also has two blue denim, fur-lined pockets sewn on at hip level on the front of the suit. Is this normal?

BTW, I'm keeping his service dress jacket, but if someone involved with the air side is interested in this battledress and flight suit, I'll entertain offers... I do the army side, and just can't envision a use for this stuff. It might as well go to a person or organization who will use/display it properly, in the right environment. BTW, the b/d jacket is size 12, T Eaton Co. 1942, the trousers size 11 1942. The flying suit is in "good" condition, somewhat soiled and with a couple of seams opened and one leg zipper all there but inoperable, but it can be easily repaired.

It's interesting stuff. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Geoff