View Single Post
Old 04-01-15, 01:03

Default Regretting and Not Regretting

I think this happens with anyone who collects and has a passion for any type of militaria whether it be vehicles or something else. I've experienced feelings of regret for things that I've bought, feelings of regret of not buying and many feelings of no regret for things that I have or now enjoy. With regards to feelings of regret for not buying, back in the 80's, I was a Marine Engineer Tech (Stoker) in the RCN. Just after finishing some courses at the Fleet School in Halifax and as requested, I was posted to HMCS Mackenzie on the West Coast. Before leaving Halifax, I saw an ad in the Auto Trader Magazine...ex naval boat for sale...formerly HMCS Blue Heron. After a quick tour of the boat/ship, I was determined to buy and restore it. A big project but doable. I tried to have my posting changed but no luck and Blue Heron did not happen for me. In hindsight, I probably did not try hard enough to get my posting changed and often wonder how things would have turned out if it did happen. Feelings of regret for not buying seem to stay with you longer than feelings of regret for buying. No regrets about the Ferret that I now own. I paid more than what I had expected and more repairs than expected but, no regrets...tons of fun and full of history.
Attached Thumbnails
BH1986.jpg  
Attached Images