Thread: HMCS Fraser...
View Single Post
Old 29-01-09, 19:08
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
The Minister.. today announced plans for Fraser to be transferred back to the Department of National Defence from its current owner, the Artificial Reef Society of Nova Scotia (ARSNS).

Despite the best intentions and best efforts of the ARSNS, the significant scope of maintaining Fraser proved to be beyond the capacity of the Society's resources.

Since DND has the capability and experience in managing large vessels, it was recognized that DND should play a role in improving Fraser's situation.

"We appreciate the hard work and dedication the ARSNS has shown over the years," said Minister MacKay. "By both parties coming to an agreement, we are able to take this opportunity to do the right thing by acting now to prevent further deterioration of Fraser and to develop a longer term plan for its future."

DND is evaluating a number of disposal options, including .... sinking it to create an artificial reef or disposal as scrap.
I don't think I can follow the logic of this:
1. The Artificial Reef Society can no longer preserve the vessel. (I would have thought their intentions would be to use it to create an artificial reef!!)
2. The DND has the skills and finances to properly maintain the vessel as a Heritage Item, and..
3. They intend to demonstrate this by sinking or scrapping it!