View Single Post
Old 11-11-09, 06:13
Toby Baillie

Having worked on the engine through the 8th and the 9th, we finally put the old 235 to the test on the 9th. My ignition coil turned out to be done for, so i had to borrow one off John Mackie for the purposes of test firing the engine. We timed the tappets and reconnected all the accelerator linkage on the left hand side of the engine, and put a new/old carby on. We then worked out the electrics, setting up a jury rig which connected the engine to John's ute battery.

The first few goes yielded no result. It turned out that the distributor points weren't content with the thorough clean given to them, and we pulled it apart, rectified the problem, and put it back together. After that, she finally fired! It was a very brief run, and it only used the petrol that we poured down the carby, but what a great sound comes from restored engines! After several more tries we almost had it idling, although again only for a few seconds. That was enough for myself and John, and we planned to bring it home and put her in my Blitz.
Attached Thumbnails
I36.jpg   I38.jpg   I41.jpg