View Single Post
Old 26-02-14, 00:53
aut viam inveniam aut fac

From a 2013 news story
"While there are at least 12 US states that have laws regarding the ownership and use of EDR information, Canada does not have EDR specific legislation and this data is regularly used in the courts."

I cannot immediately recall insurance companies using the data to deny claims, but if its used in court then its available, and Im quite sure they will, and have, deniec claims

Car insurance companies are now using something very similar..in Canada Desjardins is calling it "Ajusto" claiming it will reduce your bills if the info shows you are a "safe" driver".. ( a somewhat relative judgement determined by the insurance company)

now optional, what happens when all insurance companies have this?
I dont see this as lowering your costs, but rather as an excuse to charge much more if you do not agree to having this installed to monitor and report on your driving.
(acceleration, speed, braking force etc) if you accelerate hard, they may feel you are a risk... if you brake hard..same deal.. speeding? well of course..risky all= more $ regardless of whether you've ever been in an accident.

BTW in Quebec if you have several accidents that were not your fault (3 i think) you re considered to have bad luck and so are a risk..= higher rates.