Thread: Amusement?
View Single Post
Old 13-04-07, 14:48
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Amusement?

Quote:
Originally posted by FearNaught
All
A PM suggested that you may wish to read something light hearted for your amusement.

Malcom, welcome aboard and thank you for the very, very funny thread. In the same vein, how is your brother Dread? Joined the Navy, did he?
Currently, I'm attempting to track down the final disposition of the Chieftain tanks from Texas that were sold after David Estes' unfortunate demise. David's widow didn't share his love of armour and apparently has shut down the business, "Tactical Tanks" and sold off the assets. I've heard rumours that they have gone to museums, but they are uncomfirmed.
While I've got you on the line, here's a question for you. Is it true that the Israelis took on strength a few Chieftains for testing and assessing for use as their MBT just prior to building the Merkava I? I've been to Latrun once or twice and don't remember seeing a Chieftain there. I know they made good use of the Centurion (Sho't) which had several permutations in Israeli service. I believe cost, and suitability to both desert and mountainous terrain was the final arbitor in the decision by Yisraeli Tal to build the Merk. Your thoughts? Derek.