Thread: Meet the family
View Single Post
Old 06-12-12, 00:43
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
Hi Mike.

You'd be old enough to remember the ads on TV for the new Ford Falcon with the 'Million Pound Drive' front suspension. They were spruiking that it had cost a million pounds to develop what was a not very well executed McPherson strut. Within a few years it wasn't that unusual to see a Foul-can (We always called them that, we were a GM family) on the side of the road with a front wheel back underneath the car due to the failure of the fore and aft stabiliser rod. Not impressed.

David (Still a GM man)
Hi Dave

Not quite old enough to recall those TV ads But I do remember the local cops using light blue Ford Anglia's , the 105E model.

The first Australian Falcon, the 1960 XK, suffered from weak ball joints , they were not strong enough for the rough country roads . Ford beefed up the ball joints in the XL model and that solved the problem. They used that exact same front suspension design on Falcons right thru to 1987 .

My neighbour down the road is a Falcon collector, I will ask him about the stabiliser rods failing, he will know about it .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad