View Single Post
Old 23-02-13, 03:00

Hi Geoff.

Interesting point. Lots of great overlap for a proper answer.

First, for a short specific answer to my quest for the two aerial items, I simply need them to complete the No. 19 Mk II I have in No. 2 Brown. My Mk III Set is all Olive Drab and all the major painted bits are accounted for now.

That takes us to the bigger picture of Canadian Military Vehicles and their colours. During World War Two, Canadian manufactured military vehicles came in four colours: Khaki (a sort of light matte green, Light Stone, Olive Drab and No. 2 Brown. They did not evolve or flow into one another over time during the war. They were basically connected to the theatres of war in which the Canadians were operating at any given time for which new vehicles were needed. Whenever a contract for vehicles was placed, the colour required was part of the contract. In general, overseas vehicles were ordered in Khaki, Light Stone ( a desert colour by the way) or Olive Drab. Vehicles retained in Canada were typically No. 2 Brown or Olive Drab. It seems that wireless equipment was matched to some degree to the basic vehicle colours. Olive Drab, Khaki and No. 2 Brown sets are very common. I cannot say I have ever seen a set in Light Stone, however.

I am not sure why wireless equipment would not have used just one colour. Granted some sets were operated in open vehicles (Universal Carriers) for example, but in these cases, the set was issued with a cover to protect it from the elements, so whatever colour the set was, it would have been hidden anyway. It certainly would have simplified the painting process during manufacture.

The other wrinkle is that as vehicles relocated to different theatres, they would get repainted. I doubt the Herbies worried about the wireless equipment during the repaint process.

The final mix is that all American built vehicles ordered by Canada would arrive in the current paint colour for the US Army. British and Australian vehicles had their own colours as well and it was not unusual for vehicles to change ownership for various reasons throughout the war.

So I guess to clarify(?) for you, no, the paints did not evolved on their own throughout the war. The theatre of operation changed as the war moved on and the paints just went along for the ride.

Hope you don't have a headache now, Geoff.

David