View Single Post
Old 23-07-03, 18:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Sorry fellows....

This is a problem which has hit us before. I've done some research and established that it's a server-side problem related to the control panel software which is integrated into the servers we use. What happens is that when this software is set for self-diagnostics and/or self-updates, it restarts the MySQL database; if this happens while someone is writing to a thread (a rare occurrence), that thread becomes corrupted, hence the immediate form-field error window usually with an Error Code 1016 (some other numbers occasionally, though). Running the forum software's repair utility to restart sometimes zaps that thread.

This is a result of the hosting service I use upgrading their control panel software, and we're not the only forum having trouble. Many others like myself are on these servers and we've established the pattern I just desribed - it happens to all running forums or shopping cart software off MySQL.

I should interject that the combination of a server-based MySQL database in conjunction with php is normally one of the most stalwart combinations available on the internet. The problem lies with the version of php loaded onto the server and how it interfaces with the version of WHM/Cpanel (that control panel software I mentioned). We're trying to pressure our hosts into retrograding this combo, or at least paying for a software patch; until that time we're screwed (occasionally). The least they could do is to disable the diagnostic and upgrade functions to keep these disruptions to a minimum; we may be having some luck with that.

In the meantime, I'll try to keep backups as recent as possible, although I can't guarantee we won't miss the odd thread. And I'll keep you posted on progress.

Thanks,

Geoff