View Single Post
Old 04-10-05, 19:49
British Indian Army

Default New to me

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
Another common question also related to the 11 set, is what the little tray on the left armoured radiator cover was for. I'm talking about the tray which has the two small arms brackets built onto the end of it. There is a box which holds the couplings for the 11 set, which fits into this tray. I have never seen one; does anyone have more info on this box?

Do you have documentation which shows this box and its stowage Rob? I have often wondered why they built this tray with the hole in it and the rifle holders on its edge. Someone told me that a box which held the rifle mags and clips was stowed there which seemed logical as the proximity to the weapons seemed appropriate. With the 11 set mounted in the opposite side and all other radio equipment being stowed beside the radio leads me to ask my question!

Also, while I have seen the smoke discharger stowage box, I have not seen the brackets (if any) which go into it, nor have I ever seen what the discharger pucks look like. Does anyone have more info on these?
I have a small drawing which shows the outline of these smoke cannisters in dotted line. There are four cannisters stowed in the bin but I too have never seen the inside packers. The smoke cannisters I believe are not too different from the ground operated ones, these have a tape which you light for a quick smoke!!!! The fired ones must have some form of ignition which the .303 cartridge contacts with to make it fly! Accurate to 100 yards the official newsreel says.

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer