View Single Post
Old 08-11-17, 04:12

Default The Library

Hi Robert,

Yes, those two WW1 pictorials are difficult to find, especially in reasonable condition. Like you, I'm fortunate to have both. Another nice find is the Bruce Bairnsfather series of cartoon magazines published during the war. I was pleased to find both a complete hard-cover bound set, plus four of the magazines in their original covers, all in good condition. Still don't have a complete set of the WW1 official history, but as these are all digitized on-line on the AWM site, the need is not so pressing.

Like every Australian enthusiast, I have picked up several volumes of the WW2 series, mostly the Army books and the later 'As you were' books up to the 1950s - a poor showing compared to yours and Rick's collections! Only one in an original posting box, however. The more valuable books for me are a complete set of the WW2 official history, and a complete set of the Australian Pictorial History of WW2.

We also have several of the US Official history of WW2, and a set of the rare first edition of the pictorial history of the US Civil War, published about 1900 (the blue-spinned, 10 volume set below the Aust official history).

And what's an office to work in without some original art to gaze upon from time to time?? Confederate 12-pounder Napoleon ML SB cannons firing on Harper's Ferry from Bolivar Heights, flanked by portraits of a Confederate officer and an enlisted artillerist.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
sBB-1s.jpg   sBB-2s.jpg   sWW2 Pictorial.jpg   sLibrary2s.jpg   sPaintings1.jpg