View Single Post
Old 31-12-20, 15:18
(Michel Sabarly)

Definitely not No.94 WANDERING WILLIE as I suggested, which was T150569.

See New Sherman Crab?

It is clearly Sgt Leishman's Crab, destroyed on 17th April, and the same one as posted by Tolbooth on ww2talk and captioned as Bill Wyatt's tank:

Quote:
I think this may be the incident. The Lothians A Squadron WD has this entry for the 17th Apr

"[A] Sqn, with C Sqn 141 RAC, assisted SWB and Gloucesters, Bennekon - Renkum. The birds had flown. Sgt Leishman's tk blown up on a mine and burnt out - four cas to personnel."

And this comes from the after action report of Lt Byth, 1 Tp A Sqn

" Tue 17 Apr 45. The Tp was to operate as a sort of roving column, clearing up villages on the left of the main area of advance, together with three Crocodiles and nine carriers. This force was called GUY FORCE. Progress was painfully slow because of numerous road blocks and ruins, but the task was successfully completed without any enemy opposition.

We reunited with the main body at Oosterbeck and pushed on, now leading on the main axis. Still the only opposition was ruins and road blocks. Finally we encountered a minefield, which had to be flogged. Sgt Leishman's tk blew up on two R-mines, with cas to his crew: Tpr Wyatt severely burnt; Tpr Deryck wounded in foot (later died of wounds); LCpl Roberts burns on hand; Tpr Chisholm sprained knee."
As for its turret number, I tend to agree with Jakko that it might be 24, but am still at a loss regarding its name, which could then only be ROB ROY (or ROB ROY II or III) or RED DOUGLAS (more likely).

Last edited by MicS; 31-12-20 at 16:27.